Homecoming

Homecoming
Redeployment Ceremony; April 22nd, 2008

In The News

Articles, pictures, and other news about the 2-32 Field Artillery, and the area (Yarmouk and Hateen neighborhoods) where they've been working. For posts older than 30 days, check the archive links on the left, or use the searchbox at the top of the page.

[last update: April 22, 2008]

Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Better security affords chance to build economy

Better security affords chance to build economy
Lancaster Online
By FIRST LT. NEAL RICE
Sep 08, 2007

Hello from Baghdad,

Another month has passed us by and it's high time for an update to you, our devoted supporters. I cannot thank you enough for what you are doing. Be assured that your care packages, notes, and prayers (along with the start of football season) are a huge boost to morale. Please keep them coming and know that we count ourselves fortunate to have you behind us.

Well, it's been another decent month here on the ground. Our area has remained relatively calm, though we have had a few incidents of roadside bombs and small arms fire…a poignant reminder that we are, in fact, in a war zone.

Thankfully, none of the attacks against us were successful and your brave soldiers remain well protected, I believe, by the Hand of Providence. I wish you could see first hand how these young men press on towards the goal despite knowing the dangers that confront them each time they leave the wire. They are an admirable bunch, truly the best of young America and, in the end, all the incentive I need to keep going.

This month has been quiet enough that we have been able to focus on building the economy and essential services. In fact, security has continued to improve throughout much of Baghdad. I believe this is the result of the "surge," which has given us the appropriate number of boots on the ground to execute the difficult job we face.

Lately we have been working diligently to open new businesses. In fact, just this week we were able to help open a grocery market, a hardware store, and an air conditioning repair shop. We have established small business grants in an effort to kick start the economy in our area and the three new businesses are a result of that program.

I personally delivered the finances to each of the business owners and I want you to know that I made it clear this money is a gift from the American people to the Iraqi people. I also emphasized that I would be watching closely to ensure my countrymen's money is not wasted — and I will. It's businesses like these that hold some promise for the local economy and, step by step, there is progress on the economic front.

Lately, I have seen improvement in the local government council. Either my boss or I meet with them each week and help direct their evolution into, we hope, a functioning and relevant local government. I am often frustrated by their slow progress, but the last few weeks I have seen signs that they may actually begin to understand their proper role.

As we pass more responsibility to them they will need continual guidance if they are to succeed. Yet we must remember that they simply do not understand how a representative government should function. I find hope in the little measures of progress, most notably their recent acquiescence to the idea that they must actually talk with the people they represent if they hope to understand the problems they face.

The simplest democratic ideals, you see, are entirely foreign to them. And so you can see part of the reason why, four and a half years later, Iraq is not where we thought it would be.

Friends, the challenges here are significant, but not insurmountable. I find reasons for doubt when I watch the Iraqi politicians wander aimlessly about their parliament or, more recently, vacation with vigor as their own troops, and ours, fight for peace in the capital.

But I also see signs of hope. I see hope in the relentless and meaningful work of your soldiers every day. I see hope in those Iraqis I meet who really do want a future for themselves and their children. I see hope in the businesses we open and the local leaders who are beginning to get it.

The way ahead for Iraq is bottom up. In the absence of Iraqi leadership at the highest levels, the future belongs to those with the courage to build from the ground up. The businessman, the religious leader, the policeman, the local councilman who decides to put aside the past and the deep divides of history in order to move forward side by side, not as Shia or Sunni, but as Iraqis — these people are the hope of Iraq.

On the ground, at the lowest level, I'm seeing more of these people. Let's pray together that the tide of change grows and strengthens quickly, that a day in the not so distant future may hold the promise of peace for Iraq.

Please do not forget that you are a big part of the reason we keep moving forward here. We will never forget your steady encouragement as we give all we have to make this thing work.

Thank you, sincerely and forever.

No comments: